The Hall was built in 1847 by the Diocese of Salisbury to be a school for the “poor persons of and in the Parish of Chaldon”.
It is constructed of stone under a slate roof and is Grade 2 listed. After just over 100 years as a school, falling rolls caused the Ministry of Education to offer it for sale. For the sum of £50 to cover legal fees, the freehold was transferred to the Diocesan Board of Finance in 1950 on the condition that it was to be run by the Parochial Church Council (PCC). In 1990 a charity, known as Chaldon Parish Hall, was established and 5 years later the Charity Commission approved the sale of the hall by the PCC to the Committee of Management (now Trustees) for the sum of £1000. A Lottery Grant and a generous bequest by the Cobb family, who have farmed in West Chaldon for three generations, ensured that the hall was set in good order. It comprises a main hall (31x21ft) with an adequate kitchen and 2 toilets. There is seating capacity for 50. In the kitchen there is ample crockery and cutlery, a dishwasher, two heating rings and a microwave, which are ideal for the provision of hot drinks and to re-heat cooked food. (There are some glasses but hirers may prefer to provide their own).
At the Village Green, follow the sign to the church. The Village Hall is situated about ¼ mile from the Green on the left. Please turn your vehicle around and park as close to the opposite verge of the road as you can, facing downhill towards the village. For some events it may be possible to arrange parking in “Gods Pocket”, a grassy communal area in the centre of the village, just off the Green.
NON-PARISHIONERS/HOUR = £6
PARISHIONERS/HOUR = £4.50
TO QUALIFY FOR PARISH RATES The hirer’s name must be on the national electoral roll for the Parish.
Sundries Hire Rates ( Same rate for all hirers)
CUTLERY AND CROCKERY £5 per 25 place settings, £10 per 50 place settings
TABLES £2.50 each
CHAIRS £2.50 per 10 .
For Booking Form and Terms and Conditions click here